My 6-month IRL Streaming RECAP!


​From Lagos Traffic to Going Live: My 6-Month IRL Streaming Recap

​What started out as a passion I explored eventually became the best thing that has ever happened to me. After a life-flashing incident, I came back anew—a bit different and deeply unsatisfied with my current way of life. So, I decided to make a move.
​The day after my death scare, I almost couldn't ride my electric motorcycle. Although I came out uninjured, I didn't feel like my usual self. The scene kept replaying in my head: I was one second away from death, or worse, being crippled for life, just trying to make ends meet delivering packages across Lagos for an amount that wasn't even worth the journey. 🚴🏾‍♂️💨
​An incoming long bus, whose brakes had failed, swerved dangerously into my lane to turn into a street because the driver couldn't stop. At the speed I was going, braking wouldn't have avoided a collision. At best, I would have slid underneath the bus if I had stopped abruptly. In a split-second decision, I chose uncertainty and dived head-on into the incoming traffic lane where he had just turned from. I nearly collided with another bike rider, but I kept my hands on the handlebars and crossed the road onto a patch of rough dirt.
​Although I was completely safe, for a split second, it was like I could see into another scenario entirely where I never made it out—and for some reason, the pain felt surreal. 🤯
​I was fine, but shaken. Bystanders advised me not to ride, but I was far from home. I had to ride back, and that was the longest ride home I have ever had.
​That fear, that certainty when I realized I am not immortal and saw my life flash across my vision... I only felt hate towards myself. Hate for not living how I wanted, for falling for the sweet words of people around me, and for allowing others to impact the decisions that shaped who I was. Who I truly was had been buried deep into a list of, "I will do it when I am ready," "when I am rich," or "when I can afford it."
​I seriously hated it. 🙅🏾‍♂️


​The Pivot: Down the Tech Rabbit Hole

​The next morning, I only had ₦10,000 in my account. For some reason, just to prove to myself that I was finally making my own decisions, I went out and bought a video light and mic combo card—the basic vlogging kit.




​It wasn't my best purchase, but it kicked things off for me. It literally started my journey down the rabbit hole. I started researching and learning every step of the way. I bought more things, including changing my phone. I started with an iPhone 11 (64GB), but I struggled to livestream with it. As documented in numerous tech forums regarding older iOS devices handling heavy video encoding, it had severe overheating issues, even when using Prism Live. Plus, the storage was way too small for me as a creator.
​I was still doing deliveries across Lagos, so I saved up a bit, went online, and found a vendor selling a Samsung S21 Ultra. The screen was cracked, but it was good. I messaged the vendor, and we came to an agreement: a swap with my iPhone for the Samsung. I wanted the Samsung because livestreaming seems much more explorable on Android, with a wider variety of streaming app options—specifically, IRL Pro was on my radar.
​I got to his shop and then it happened: he had sold the phone just minutes before I arrived! I was fuming 😤 because I had called him ahead. But after waiting for a while for him to arrive, he actually gave me something better: the Samsung S23 FE.


​It has a better chipset and a significantly nicer camera sensor. Even though I couldn't afford it outright, he agreed I could pay what I had on me and pay the rest when I was able. That was a massive lucky break! 😌🙌



​Taking It Outside: Food Festivals and Island Beaches

​I started buying more gadgets and experimenting with apps, going live on Streamlabs,
StreamElements, Prism Live, and IRL Pro.
​I met up with a friend who is into content creation, skit making, and is a successful livestreamer on TikTok. We spoke, and I asked him how the industry is, what works, and what to avoid. After getting some advice and buying a few more gadgets, we did a livestream together.



Right there, I was still nervous and not entirely used to appearing on or talking to the camera. It was a nice experience—shout out to Favjay!


​The Lagos Food Festival

​After that, I was scrolling through Instagram and saw the Lagos Food Festival event (free access, registration only). I called my friend and suggested we attend. I also invited a girl who has quite a following herself, so it was going to be a food festival date livestream. Due to unexplained reasons, she canceled last minute, but I still went with my friend and we did the livestream anyway.

​The phone was overheating. It was hard to stay online for more than 20 minutes because the Nigerian sun was harsh, and the phone simply couldn't stay on for long under those thermal conditions. It inevitably turned the day sour. But I thank God we still tried because it was my first time in an outdoor setting! 😅 I was nervous and disappointed because my phone's battery and heat management took a massive hit that day.


​The Beach & Boat Ride Stream

​Can you believe the beach livestream was my first time on a beach ever? Thanks to another friend of mine, we decided to skip Ikorodu and visit the Island 🏝️.
​We took a jetty ride to the islands, grabbed a meal, and decided it would be a good idea to visit the beach.


it turned out to be a great livestream! 😀 My mic got spoilt a week earlier, so the audio wasn't the best, but I am going back to the beach soon. And this time, I won't only be there physically, but mentally too.


The boat ride stream was my first time going out alone and my first solo stream outdoors. I lost a lot of footage to network issues, but this is still some part of it: This livestream was possible thanks to a gig I had on the Island; I had to go register something at the IRS office on someone's behalf, so why not livestream the journey?


​Chatting with Friends and Minecraft

​My friends are scopophobic—the thought of appearing on my livestream terrifies them! But on this day, I was chatting with a friend of mine who is into finance and is always happy to talk about it on audio.



​I also did a Minecraft test play using Streamlabs. I finally got this to work, and it was awesome. I could play games on my phone and livestream at the same time—a wonderful experience.



​I did reaction streams too, reacting to famous streamers' events and TikTok videos. A couple of the videos weren't saved to YouTube because I didn't multi-stream them and forgot to publish the VOD from Twitch. But I'm glad a few survived! Some are on my hard drive, and I intend to hand those over to a professional editor to make a compilation video when I hit 100k subscribers on YouTube. Keep watch for that! 👀


​I played around with Streamlabs effects and then used the Prism Live media player overlay.



​I even tried a jogging routine. I jogged around my neighborhood a couple of times and brought the livestream along. But ever since someone tried to steal my phone, I concluded it's not the best idea—at least not in my current neighborhood! 🙃


​[


​The Tech Breakdown: Mobile Streaming Apps in 2026

​If you want to stream from a mobile device, here is my direct experience with the top apps.


​Streamlabs

​Streamlabs is great and has so many features, including "scenes" so it can look like a proper OBS setup. It supports multi-streaming when you pay for the subscription.
​The Downside: It is very buggy. It lagged left and right. It doesn't strain the phone as much as other apps, but it seems like a software optimization issue.
​The Overlay Issue: It has very little web overlay support. You have to use their pre-built overlays with limited categories, and I couldn't figure out how to build a custom one in the app.
​The Best Feature: Using the front and back camera simultaneously. This is a game-changer for explorational IRL streamers. The screen cast feature lets you overlay the front camera onto your screen cast, which is great for reaction videos.
Note: It frequently freezes the camera frame while the screen cast keeps broadcasting, and there's no way to notice until the stream ends. I'll test this again when I get a higher-end device to see if it's native to my current phone.


​Prism Live Studio

​Prism is one of the best out there. It’s easy to use and, as their developer logs frequently highlight, highly optimized for livestreaming on both Android and iOS devices.
​The Pros: It has nice features on the free version and works reasonably well under terrible conditions. Without the monthly subscription, you still have access to web overlays (up to 2) and an on-screen media player. It most likely works very well on low-end devices.
​The Cons: During network downtime, the quality of the video reduces drastically to compensate for the bad connection. It also only supports one camera at a time.


​StreamElements

​One word: Incomplete. It's built to use the StreamElements mobile overlay option in the cloud, but it is too basic, lacks options, can't multi-stream, and needs a lot of work from their dev team before it can be truly "mobile-ready."


​IRL Pro (The Ultimate Choice)

​IRL Pro is the absolute best for IRL streaming. It has multiple features, but it's not for everyone.
​The Pros: Unlike the other apps, you actually need to know what you're doing to use it. However, with millions of tutorials on GitHub and Reddit, it's easy to figure out. The biggest plus? It is completely free. No subscriptions, no watermarks, and no bandwidth restrictions. With a high-end device, this app can definitely push stable 4K 60FPS frames, giving you the best video and audio results possible.
​The Cons: No screen cast feature, as it is strictly centered around IRL livestreaming.
Other mentions: Larix Broadcaster is also a solid option. Do your own research!


​Custom Overlays & Chat

​On the overlay side of things, you have to determine if you are fine with just raw video output, or if you want to add designs like chat boxes, subscriber goals, your channel title, and custom alerts. In my opinion, it adds to the overall experience for you and the viewers.
​If you choose to build it yourself (DIY) like I did, StreamElements' web dashboard is very friendly. There are countless tutorials and premium pre-built overlays on sites like OWN3D. StreamElements also has bots to keep the chat occupied, and you can even set up monetization through them.
​For the chat overlay, there are plenty of options like Chat v2 by StreamElements. But because I multi-stream, I went for a tool currently in development called All-Chat. It’s really nice to work with, and the developer, Caesar, is a pretty friendly guy!


​Gear Review: The Tokqi MO5 Gimbal

​Since I am a solo streamer, I opted for a gimbal and tripod setup to give a more stable feed that's easier to hold and control. The gimbal I use is the Tokqi MO5.
​Because this is my first gimbal, I wasn't initially sure if I was getting a good experience or a terrible one. But here is what the Tokqi MO5 actually offers:
​3-Axis Stabilization: Keeps the footage smooth when walking on rough Lagos roads.
​Built-in Extension Rod & Tripod: Acts like a selfie stick and stand, which is perfect for setting up stationary shots outdoors.
​Smart Tracking: Uses an app to track your face or objects.
​Fill Light: Helps a bit in low-light situations.
​Foldable Design: Very easy to pack into a small bag.
​The Catch: I am very uncomfortable with the battery life. I sometimes only get 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes of use, whereas other premium brands advertise 10 to 12 hours. When I eventually upgrade my setup, I'll be able to compare properly.
(For my lighting, I use generic LED lights that I've bought over the past few months. Their battery life is also horrible, so I plan to upgrade soon.)


​Battling the Network & The Potato PC Setup

​For network, I currently use MTN and Airtel. Both are horrible 😫. However, apps like Speedify are available for network bonding. According to Speedify’s technical documentation, channel bonding combines multiple internet connections (like your MTN Wi-Fi and Airtel mobile data) to prevent dropped frames. When bonded, they perform fairly well, but the app costs a monthly subscription. Just know that livestreaming costs a lot upfront with no immediate reward!
​Here is some footage from my troubleshooting days, just figuring things out:



​The Birthday Stream (Spacedesk Magic)

​On my birthday, I tried a brand new setup combining the Streamlabs screen cast/camera overlay with Spacedesk.
​Spacedesk is an application that allows you to share your Windows desktop screen to your phone over a local network. If you're like me and have access to a "potato PC" that doesn't have the specs to encode a livestream, this is an incredible alternative to a desktop OBS setup!


​The Setup:

​I positioned my phone on a tripod to act as the webcam and main encoder.
​I launched Streamlabs and selected my scene (screen cast + front camera).
​I launched the Spacedesk app, connected it to my phone, and streamed my PC screen directly through my mobile device.
​This works brilliantly with old PCs or low-spec laptops. Here’s the result:


[Insert video] [note to readers video lost] [will be uploaded when recovered]


​The Vision: Revolutionizing the Space

​Sometimes, when I watch other livestreamers, I feel like I am very far behind. But I have decided to clear my mind of that thinking and focus on my own lane: becoming the best in the world. 🌍
​I don't just want to be known as a "Nigerian streamer" or an "IRL streamer." I want to revolutionize the streaming industry. I want to show others how to actually build a career around this and prove to our generation that there are modern ways to generate income from what you truly believe in.
​I intend to experience the world in ways never seen before, and build a community that develops itself because I developed. I want to teach people how to livestream their day-to-day activities and inspire millions to decide exactly who they want to become.
​Along the way, I aspire to build businesses because I am a huge lover of self-sufficiency. I love agriculture, agrotech, and DIY systems, and those will play a big part in my future.
​But this is a journey I want to take with your support. Keep watching, join the motion, and let's build this community together.


​I am Milivyatan, and that’s my 6-month recap.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post